Science

sCIENCE 3

Science

A high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.

Aims

The national curriculum for science aims to ensure that all pupils:

  • develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
  • develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
  • are equipped with the scientific knowledge required

Attainment targets
By the end of key stage 3, pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified in the relevant programme of study.

The full programme of study can be viewed by clicking on the following link - Click Here

Year 9

Pupils follow the “legacy Key Stage 3 national curriculum” during year 9.  This is mapped to the “legacy GCSE Science qualification” to improve the transition between key stage 3 and key stage 4.

KEY STAGE 4

1) AQA GCSE SCIENCE

Students follow the AQA GCSE Science A course. This covers all aspects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics as prescribed bu the National Curriculum. Modular tests contribute 75% towards the assessment; the remaining 25% is the ISA internal assessment, which involves the performance of practical work and scientific analysis of results.

2) AQA ADDITIONAL SCIENCE

Students follow the AQA GCSE Additional Science Course. This covers all asoects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics as prescribed by the National Curriculum. Structured written tests contribute 75% towards the assessment; the remaining 25% is the ISA internal assessment, which involves the performance of practical work and scientific analysis of results.

3) AQA BIOLOGY

Students follow the AQA Biology course which covers all the "Biology" topics of the Science National Curriculum ranging from The Human Body to Micro-organisms and Biotechnology. The scheme of assessments consists of 75% module tests. The remaining 25% is the ISA internal assessment, which involves the performance of practical work and scientific analysis of results.

4) AQA CHEMISTRY

Students follow the AQA Chemistry course. The course covers a wide range of chemistry topics from Chemical Patterns to the Application of Chemistry. The scheme of assessment consists of 75% module tests. The remaining 25% is the ISA internal assessment, which involves the performance of practical work and scientific analysis of results.

5) AQA PHYSICS

Students follow the AQA Physics course. The course covers a wide range of physics topics from Waves, Atoms and space to Energy and Elcetricity. The scheme of assessment consists of 75% module tests. The remaining 25% is the ISA internal assessment, which involves the performance of practical work and scientific analysis of results.

6) Environmental & Land Based Science

Students follow a course in GCSE Science (AQA) together with GCSE Environmental and Land Based Science (OCR). The content develops the themes of practical plant and animal work. Two modular tests contribute 40% towards the assessment and the remaining 60% comes from a computer based portfolio that includes a practical investigation (40%), a work related report (40%) and an assessment of practical skills (20%).

In Science we contribute to the delivery of SMSC. For more information on how this is delivered in Science click here 

Check out the YouTube Science Channel: Click Here

Post 16

AQA BIOLOGY

AS BIOLOGY

At AS, the AQA specification stimulates the enthusiasm of students from the start. It emphasises the way in which biologists work and the contributions of biology to society in a way that underpins the specification but is not intrusive Unit 1: Biology and Disease, Unit 2: The Variety of Living Organisms and Unit 3: Practical and Investigative Skills. Unit 1 and 2 are both examined units (80%) and Unit 3 the practical assessed unit (20%).

A2 BIOLOGY

At A2, the specification continues the approach taken at AS. Unit 4: Populations and Environment and Unit 5: Control in Cells and in Organisms are both examined units which together make up 80% of A2 and Unit 6: Practical and Investigative Skills which makes up 20% of the A2 marks.

AQA CHEMISTRY

AS CHEMISTRY

At AS Level candidates are given a solid grounding in foundation Chemistry. The specification introduces the chemical reactivity of atoms and molecules and provides an understanding of their structures. The specification introduces the chemical reactivity of atoms and molecules and provides an understanding of their structures. The development and use of periodic table is explained. Units 1 and 2 are both examined units and make up 80% and Unit 3 the practical assessed unit makes up 20% of the final mark.

A2 CHEMISTRY

At A2 Level the specification develops the concepts of physical chemistry introduced at AS. Candidates study kinetics, equilibria, organic chemistry and spectroscopic techniques to determine the molecular formulae and structures of organic compounds. Units 4 and 5 are both examined units and make up 80% of the final score and Unit 6 the practical assessed unit makes up 20% of the final mark.

AQA PHYSICS

At AS, this specification introduces new topics as well as building on previous studies in physics. The two AS theory units provide alternative starting points for the AS course. Unit 1: Particles, Quantum Phenomena and Electricity and Unit 2: Mechanics, Materials and Waves are the examined units and make up 80% of the final mark. Unit 3: Investigative and Practical Skills make up 20% of the final score.

A2 PHYSICS

At A2, this specification builds on AS physics (A) and includes optional topics:

* Unit 4: Fields and Further Mechanics

* Unit 5: This unit comprises two sections: Section A: Nuclear and Thermal Physics, Section B: Option Units.

AQA APPLIED SCIENCE

AS AND A2 APPLIED SCIENCE

The AQA Applied Science has a simple assessment structure with equally weighted units. The course combines rigour and coherence with manageability, providing students with a secure foundation in Science through study of fundamental scientific principles. The Applied Science course provides a sound foundation for further study or employment as well as a route for Higher Education. The course promotes an understanding of Science by experiencing Science in the real world. At AS there are 3 units two portfolio unita and one examined unit each weighted at 33% each as with the A2 course where again there are two portfolio units and one examined unit.